Downtown Line 2

Downtown Line 2

The new Downtown Line 2 now brings greater connectivity, convenience and accessibility to where you live, work and play!

DT1 Bukit Panjang

  • Bukit Panjang Plaza

bukit panjang plaza

  • Bukit Panjang Public Library @ Bukit Panjang Plaza
  • Junction 10
  • West View Primary School
  • Rail Corridor (access)

The Rail Corridor is 24 kilometres long. As a “green corridor”, it provides an oasis and a place of relief against the increasing density and intensity of urban living. By virtue of its length and reach, the Rail Corridor is a very unique public space differentiated from other community spaces in Singapore. The Rail Corridor connects homes, work places and schools. It encourages a spirit of discovery and exploration, and provides a common space for shared experiences across a diverse segment of our population. There is great potential in fostering social-bonding and community-building activities along the Corridor. In time to come, we hope that Singaporeans will also develop a strong sense of ownership and connection with this space.

  • Econ Medicare Centre

DT2 Cashew

  • SAF Camps/MINDEF
  • Assumption Pathway School
  • Bukit Panjang Primary School
  • CHIJ Our Lady Queen Of Peace

DT3 Hillview

  • The Rail Mall
  • HILLV2

hillv2

  • Rail Corridor (access)
  • Dairy Farm Nature Park
  • Salvation Army
  • MOE Adventure Centre

DT5 Beauty World

  • Beauty World Plaza
  • Bukit Timah Plaza
  • Beauty World Centre
  • Bukit Timah Nature Reserve
  • Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
  • Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School

DT6 King Albert Park

  • Methodist Girls’ School
  • Sime Darby Centre

DT7 Sixth Avenue

  • Nanyang Girls’ High School
  • Sixth Avenue Centre
  • Guthrie House
  • Second Avenue Junction

DT8 Tan Kah Kee

  • National Junior College
  • Hwa Chong Institution
  • Coronation Plaza
  • King’s Arcade
  • Crown Centre

DT9 Botanic Gardens

  • Singapore Botanic Gardens

The History of Singapore Botanic Gardens

The idea of a national garden in Singapore started in 1822 when Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of modern Singapore and a keen naturalist, developed the first ‘Botanical and Experimental Garden’ at Fort Canning. It was only in 1859 that the Gardens at its present site was founded and laid out in the English Landscape Movement’s style by an Agri-Horticultural society. The Gardens was soon handed over to the British colonial government (in 1874) and a series of Kew-trained botanists saw the Gardens blossom into an important botanical institute over the following decades. Today, the Gardens is managed by the National Parks Board, a statutory board of the Singapore government.

In the early years, the Gardens played an important role in fostering agricultural development in Singapore and the region through collecting, growing, experimenting and distributing potentially useful plants. One of the earliest and most important successes was the introduction, experimentation and promotion of Para Rubber, Hevea brasiliensis. This became a major crop that brought great prosperity to the South East Asian region in the early 20th century. From 1928, the Gardens spearheaded orchid breeding and started its orchid hybridisation programme, facilitated by new in vitro techniques pioneered in its laboratories. In contemporary times, the Gardens also played a key role in Singapore’s Garden City programme through the continual introduction of plants of horticultural and botanical interest.

With more than 150 years of history, the 74-hectare Gardens holds a unique and significant place in the history of Singapore and the region. Through the botanical and horticultural work carried out today, it will continue to play an important role as a leading tropical botanical institute, and an endearing place to all Singaporeans.

The Gardens has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site at the 39th session of the World Heritage Committee (WHC) on 4 July 2015. The Gardens is the first and only tropical botanic garden on the UNESCO’s World Heritage List. It is the first in Asia and the third botanic gardens inscribed in the world following Orto botanico di Padova and the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

  • National University of Singapore (Bukit Timah Campus)
  • Adam Road Food Centre
  • Cluny Court
  • Serene Centre
  • Embassy of France

DT10 Stevens

  • Singapore Chinese Girls’ School
  • Stevens Court
  • Raffles Town Club

raffles town club

  • Chancery Court

DT11 Newton

  • Newton Food Centre
  • Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)
  • Anglo-Chinese School (Primary)
  • Environment Building
  • Balmoral Plaza

DT12 Little India

  • KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital

KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital is the largest medical facility in Singapore which provides specialist care for women and children.

kk women's and children's hospital

  • Tekka Market

Tekka Market

  • Little India Heritage Trail
  • Indian Heritage Centre

DT12 Rochor

  • LASALLE College of the Arts

Lasalle Singapore

  • Sim Lim Square

Sim Lim Square

  • Albert Complex
  • Burlington Square
  • The Verge
  • Rochor Centre
  • Fu Lu Shou Complex
  • Sim Lim Tower